shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out

Whitehaven AFC 2 – 2 Workington AFC

Whitehaven AFC 2 – 2 Workington AFC



New look Haven a stiffer test for the Reds

After scoring thirty goals in their previous four visits to neighbours Whitehaven, Reds were given a much stiffer test in the annual Shaun Hocking Memorial Trophy fixture.

After scoring thirty goals in their previous four visits to neighbours Whitehaven, Reds were given a much stiffer test in the annual Shaun Hocking Memorial Trophy fixture.

Two well taken Jason Walker goals saw Reds edge ahead in each half only for the hosts to equalise from former Workington players.

It was a more beneficial work-out, rightly acknowledged by Workington boss, David Hewson. “You always want to win any game but a new-look Whitehaven certainly deserved the draw. They were very well organised and a much improved outfit compared to recent years, so a lot of credit to them on how they approached the game and how they played.

“But it was a pre-season fixture and it served its purpose in terms of fitness and more game time for our squad.”

Aaran Taylor, Matty Douglas, Conor Tinnion and Aaron Bradbury all had their first run-out of the summer whilst Euan Devonshire travelled from the north east to begin a trial period with the club.

“We’ll have another look at Euan in training and another match as you cannot judge a player on a sixty minute performance,” said Hewson.

Kick-off was delayed by half an hour due to the non-arrival of the match officials but Reds made a bright start when play got under way.

They were ahead after just six minutes with a well taken Walker goal. He collected Ellis Pearson’s measured pass down the inside left channel and left James Bryden helpless with a composed finish.

But Bryden prevented Reds adding to their lead, twice thwarting Chris O’Brien in quick succession.

The hosts had the chance to level matters in the twenty-sixth minute when Greg Quayle was impeded by O’Brien in the area. Matthew Perry took the subsequent spot-kick but Taylor dived to his left to pull off a fine save.

Reds were still getting to know each other after a raft of substitutions at half time when Whitehaven levelled after fifty minutes. Nathan Dryden did well on the right and his cross eventually found Tommy Whitehead who crashed in the equaliser.

But Walker restored Reds’ advantage on the hour with another goal pleasing on the eye. Tinnion’s sublime pass found Walker (pictured) whose first touch gave him the time to find the net with another composed finish.

Brad Hubbold then saw a well struck free kick rattle Tom Fowler’s crossbar as Reds looked for that two goal cushion. It never came and Scott Redhead’s well drilled side restored parity six minutes before the end.

A diagonal ball from left to right opened up Reds and Dryden’s excellent finish from an acute angle flew into the net for a deserved equaliser.

It was the first time the Shaun Hocking Memorial Trophy match had finished all square with both managers well satisfied with a competitive work out.

Over £400 was raised for the British Polio charity.

Whitehaven Bryden, Benson, Johnston, Robson, Lumsden, Quayle, Donald, Hammell, Perry, Whitehead, Brunton. Substitutes – Fowler, Dryden N, Sim, Tubman, Fyfe (all used).

Workington Taylor (Casson), Harker (Winter), Pearson, O’Brien (Hetherington), Douglas (Smith), Tidy (Tinnion), Devonshire (Mossop), Hubbold, Walker (Holliday), Maguire (Pattinson), Bradbury.

Referee Joe Fell, Whitehaven

Attendance 102


Date Time Season
12/07/2018 19:30 2018/19 Pre-season


Team1st Half2nd HalfGoals
Whitehaven AFC022
Workington AFC112
Yellow Cards
Red Cards
Own Goals
Don`t copy text!