Season review

Lee Andrews & Dave Hewson

As disappointing as the 2018-19 season turned out to be it will be now consigned to the archives for future reference with our seasonal review drawing a line under a campaign best forgotten.

Of the 52 matches played, we obtained thirteen wins (eight in the league, two in the FA Cup and three in the FA Trophy), nine draws and thirty defeats (twenty seven of which were in the league). We scored 60 goals (thirty eight in the league, eleven in the Cup, ten in the Trophy and one in the League Cup) and conceded 87.

We actually played one other match but the away game at North Ferriby United, which we won 2-0, was expunged from the records following their demise in March.

The 29 points was the lowest tally by a Workington team in the Northern Premier League since the 1991-92 season. Fifteen points were obtained on the road as opposed to fourteen at Borough Park.

Thirty seven different players were used on first team duty with sixteen of those here for the first time. Aaran Taylor made fifty appearances over the season.

Gari Rowntree, Aaran Taylor and Matty Douglas captained the side.

The managerial situation was confusing to say the least. David Hewson and Lee Andrews were in joint control until mid December, Lee was then in sole charge for three games, Gavin Skelton was manager for two matches with Lee as his assistant then, after Gavin’s U-turn, Lee became manager until the end of the season with Steven Rudd returning to the club as his assistant.

Gavin Skelton

The sixty goals were shared by seventeen players which included two opponents who had the misfortune to be credited with an own-goal. Jason Walker (12) emerged as the top scorer with Scott Allison (10), Conor Tinnion (9) and Sam Joel (8) his nearest rivals.

Jason Walker – top scorer

Jason also ‘lost’ a goal from his tally as did Garry Thompson – the scorers in the aborted 2-0 victory at North Ferriby United.

Reds were awarded 9 penalties during the season with five of those converted, two saved and two missed. We conceded thirteen spot-kicks, nine of which were converted, two were saved by Aaran Taylor and two missed the target.

Aaran also kept eleven clean sheets.

Our biggest winning margin was the 5-0 Trophy success over Newcastle Town while the 1-5 reverse at Scarborough Athletic was the heaviest defeat.

There were two notable milestones with Kyle May making his 555th, and last appearance, and Gari Rowntree passing the 400 mark. Conor Tinnion also bagged his 50th competitive goal for the club.

Kyle May ended his Reds career on 555 appearances
Gari Rowntree – completed his 400th club appearance

Aaran Taylor stepped down for the final match to pave the way for Lewis Casson’s debut, so ending a run of 131 consecutive league games.

Aaran Taylor – 50 appearances

Discipline was very poor with 7 red cards shown and 88 yellows collected, impacting with no fewer than eight suspensions.

Our highest league position was 8th after the opening day but no higher than 11th thereafter and rooted in 21st from mid-October onwards.

Workington made first ever visits to Knaresborough Town, Basford United and South Shields.

9,854 spectators passed through the Borough Park turnstiles during the season with the average league attendance 395. The best home crowd was the 689 present for the final home match v. Lancaster City, the lowest gate was the 147 for the Prescot Cables League Cup tie.

10,388 watched our league and cup matches away with the league average 404. Top crowd was at South Shields with a gate of 1,501 recorded contrasting with the 151 which attended the match at Mickleover Sports.

Another unwanted record was the run of nine consecutive home defeats – the worst sequence in the club’s history.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.
Don`t copy text!