On this day – 8 May

A look through the diaries to see what was happening to Reds on the 8th May in previous years………

Workington and Carlisle United have met many times in the Cumberland Cup including ten encounters in the final itself.  The most recent meeting with medals up for grabs was in 2007 with Reds emerging 2-1 winners at Brunton Park after extra time.

Tommy Cassidy named the following team:

Craig Summersgill, Alan Gray, Anthony Wright, Kyle May, Darren Edmondson, Craig Johnston, Graham Anthony, Steve Birks, Tony Nicholson, Wayne Gordon, David Hewson.  Substitutes – Derek Townsley, Dean Douglas, Mathew Henney, Dan Gullen and Adam Collin.

Carlisle United fielded a mixed line-up including future Reds Dan Wordsworth, Dan Kirkup, Stephen Hindmarch and Shaun Vipond.

Tony Nicholson opened the scoring for the West Cumbrians but United were level before half time thanks to a Luke Joyce goal.

Despite good football from both sides a stalemate developed, with no further scoring throughout the second half and most of extra time.

It appeared to be heading for a penalty shoot out decider until Reds were awarded a spot kick three minutes before the end of the additional half hour.

Craig Johnston stepped up to hammer home the winner with Cumberland FA officials quickly securing red and white ribbons to the magnificent old trophy before the presentation. 

Skipper Steve Birks is pictured with the Cumberland Cup and the winning Reds squad above.

A rather special career was launched fifty one years ago with goalkeeping legend John Burridge making his Football League debut as a cocky seventeen year old on this day in 1969.

Brian Doyle named him in the team for the Fourth Division fixture v. Newport County at Borough Park, a match Reds won 3-2.

Budgie (pictured) experienced a mixed night – bags of confidence as you would expect but a natural nervousness too.  But the obvious thing for all to see, here was a star of the future.    

John Burridge

Tony Geidmintis, Peter Barlow and Derek Trail scored the goals to ensure a winning start for Budgie who had to wait nearly sixteen months for his second outing in the first team!

Our only other encounter on this day had been six years earlier in 1963, when we travelled to Sealand Road for a league match versus Chester which resulted in a 1-1 draw.

Jackie Swindells had been Reds’ only ever-present throughout the 1962-63 campaign and scored our goal that day. 

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.
Don`t copy text!