On this day – 6 May

A look through the archives to see what was happening to Reds on the 6th May in previous years……..

The above team photograph was taken twenty years ago ahead of Reds final game of the 1999-2000 season, a home match against Eastwood Town.

There was nothing at stake for either side so no last day nail-biting for a change.  And two first half goals left Reds’ supporters in good spirits as they cantered to a 2-0 victory with Barry Irving and Stuart Williamson scoring a goal apiece. 

Goalkeeper, Gary Hoggeth, kept a clean sheet and also saved Gavin Boys’ penalty preventing the Nottinghamshire side staging a second half fight back.

It was a proud day for Andrew Jones with the seventeen-year-old making his home debut for Reds.

Those on duty that day were:

Back row (left to right) Wayne Johnson, Gary Messer, Mathew Henney, Stuart Williamson, Barry Irving, Mark Donnelly, Graeme Carr, Gary Hoggeth and Andrew Jones.

Front row (left to right) Andrew Douglas, Graham Goulding, Marc Green, Brian Dawson and Alan Gray  

But our 1995 clash versus Congleton Town was a ‘must win’ game and the three points obtained, following a 4-0 victory, completed our great escape from relegation.  We finished in 20th position with Goole Town and Mossley the two clubs relegated.

Steve Watt (inset) started and concluded the scoring with Martin Henderson netting twice in a minute to complete a league double over Town.

Steve Watt

Reds also scored four times in the 1989 home clash against Sutton Town, a game watched by an attendance of just 109.

Graeme Nicholson opened the scoring after forty five seconds and then popped up with a last minute winner when a 3-3 draw looked the more likely outcome.

Kevin Rowntree and Dennis Finn also found the target for Reds who were fortunate to win after squandering a 3-1 lead.

Sutton is a suburb of Mansfield and, coincidentally, Reds were playing at Field Mill on this day in 1967.

And although bottom of the Third Division and about to be relegated with Swansea Town, Darlington and Doncaster Rovers, Reds recorded a surprise 1-0 victory thanks to a George McLean goal.   

Willie Harkness

Reds never won in three North Eastern League outings but drew their 1950 Borough Park encounter against Spennymoor United, 1-1. Willie Harkness (pictured) scored his 19th league goal that day to finish as second top scorer.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.
Don`t copy text!