On this day – 4 April

A look back through the archives to catch-up with Reds escapades on 4 April in previous years……..

Reds have recorded six wins on this particular day, a success rate which could only be described as moderate from twenty three attempts.  Yet four of those victories have been obtained on the road!

There has been the usual quota of hard luck stories plus the reality that we simply weren’t good enough in numerous matches, although we would ever admit to the latter.

Our most recent outing was three years ago at Ashton United when Sam Smith headed home a seventy fifth minute winner to secure the points. Josh Calvert had headed us in front in the first half but the hosts equalised three minutes later.

The performance was impressive but that wasn’t the case two years earlier when we made a first ever visit to the War Memorial Athletic Ground – home of Stourbridge.

We looked jaded and out of sorts then, out of the blue, Gavin Skelton (pictured) fired in a superb thirty yarder thirteen minutes from time to clinch a gritty 1-0 win.

Gavin Skelton

There was a frustrating defeat at Harrogate Town back in 1995 where, despite taking the lead three times, we lost 4-3.  And to make matters worse, a player who hardly scored during his time at Borough Park, Eamonn Elliott, helped himself to a hat-trick for Town.  John Holliday, David Gray (pictured) and Steve Watt were on target for Reds but the highlight of the night was probably the fish and chips at Knaresborough on the way home.

Long standing Reds supporters will probably recall the likes of Copeland, Chilton, Gilmour, Wheatley, Pearson, Woodburn, Harbach and Proctor turning out but, on this day in 1988, they were all playing for Barrow against us at Holker Street where we lost 2-0.

Just some of the many, over the years, that have played for both clubs at various stages of their careers.

One of the hard luck stories could have been labelled to the 1987 reverse at Oswestry Town which, like the earlier game at Harrogate, was by the odd goal in seven and in front of just 91 paying spectators.

Carl Burdon scored twice for Reds but was denied a hat-trick when he had a penalty saved.  The ever reliable Billy Gilmour scored our other goal.

Reds were enjoying the promotion run-in back in 1964, on their way to a 3rd place finish in the old Fourth Division, and cruised to a 3-0 success at Southport to complete a treble (a league double and a League Cup victory) over the Haig Avenue men.  Barry Lowes netted twice in that win to maintain his excellent scoring record over the last three months of that memorable campaign.

On Good Friday 1958, we registered a fine 2-0 win at Stockport County thanks to a Joe Armstrong brace but the return at Borough Park on Easter Monday finished all square (1-1). Not much joy in the North Eastern League on this day – four matches played, four defeats inflicted upon us.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.
Don`t copy text!