ON THIS DAY: 31 January – Wrexham in the Trophy & double over Chester

A look back at Workington’s matches on the 31st January in previous years reveals the good, bad and indifferent…….

Gavin Skelton

2015   Grantham Town (home) 2-1   There was a minute of applause before kick off in memory of former players, Ken Furphy and Barry Brayton, who had recently passed away.

The visitors made the best possible start and opened the scoring after just two minutes thanks to a Danny Meadows penalty.  Reds recovered well and had turned the game around by half time – Gavin Skelton equalised with an exquisite chip from thirty five yards and Scott Allison’s clever back heal secured a deserved home win.

2009   Wrexham (home) 1-3   No FA Trophy giant-killing on this occasion but the Cumbrian Reds gave a good account of themselves in the first meeting (featured) between the clubs for thirty nine years.  Jonny Wright broke the deadlock with the opening goal after seventy two minutes but Dean Saunders’ side hit back almost immediately and levelled matters via the penalty spot, Nathan Fairhurst converting.

Two goals in quick succession from Wrexham substitute Mark Williams ensured their passage into the quarter finals where they came unstuck against Ebbsfleet United.

Simon Parry
Jeff Henderson

1998   Flixton (home) 2-0   Reds were embroiled in another relegation season and a comfortable home win over the Manchester team was our first success in nine outings.  The victory also avenged a 6-0 thumping at their ground earlier in the season.  Simon Parry scored the opener direct from a free kick with Jeff Henderson’s first for the club completing the job.

Keith Hunton

1987   Gainsborough Trinity (home, sort of) 0-0   Workington’s five match sojourn at Lonsdale Park came to an end and a return to Borough Park was imminent.  Trinity probably had the better of this contest at our temporary home and we owed much to a fine individual performance from Keith Hunton to obtain a welcome point.

1981   Gainsborough Trinity (away) 1-1   There was also a point apiece from this drawn game at The Northolme, our first at that particular venue.

Familiar faces Mick Leng and Bobby Owen (former Reds players) were included in the Trinity line-up as was current Middlesbrough boss, Neil Warnock.  John Smith’s eighteenth goal of the season helped us obtain the draw.

1979   Mossley (home) 0-6   A Wednesday night trouncing at Borough Park was, to that point, a record NPL defeat on home soil.  Yet, at half time, we were still in contention and trailed by just the one goal.

The eventual champions went on to score 117 league goals that term and ten of those, unfortunately, were at our expense!

Mike Rogan

1976   Crewe Alexandra (away) 0-0   Alex were managed by goalkeeping giant, Harry Gregg, at the time so fitting that Reds’ Mike Rogan should keep a clean sheet at Gresty Road.  The game also marked the end of Dave Helliwell’s Workington career – it was his 196th and last outing for the first team.

1970   Brentford (away) 0-1   Having won at Borough Park earlier in the season, Brentford duly completed a League double at our expense.  They finished fifth from the top and missed out on promotion, Reds finished fifth from the bottom and avoided the re-election zone!

Bobby Dixon

1959   Chester (away) 2-1   Our 2-1 win at Chester’s Sealand Road completed a league double with Bobby Dixon and Joe Armstrong scoring the goals in what was our first win on the road that season.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.
Don`t copy text!