ON THIS DAY: 3 February – Bromley in the cup & England internationals

We have played several teams on this day, who became familiar opponents over the years, but Bromley were first time visitors on the 3rd February a few seasons ago…….

2018   Bromley (home) 1-1   The most recent of our clashes with the big boys from the National League ( the likes of Wrexham, Barrow, Rushden & Diamonds, Barrow, AFC Wimbledon, Stevenage Borough and Hartlepool United) saw Bromley make their maiden voyage to Borough Park.

Reds were a tad unlucky not to go through at the first attempt against in-form Bromley who were 7th in the top flight at the time.  Phil McLuckie had eased Reds in front with a low shot via Nathan Waterston’s assist early in the second half and we had created other chances throughout the game.

Phil McLuckie opens the scoring

But the inability to grab that second goal proved crucial and the Ravens’ skipper, Jack Holland, headed home their equaliser from close range twelve minutes from time.

Conor Tinnion, Anthony Wright and McLuckie were superb in an excellent team performance but it was a case of so near yet so far…….

2007   Moor Green (away) 0-1   There was drama on the M6 as the team coach was involved in an accident – a four vehicle shunt which saw the bus bump into the back of a van.  Thankfully, there were no injuries and vehicle damage was minimal with a forty minute delay the only real setback.

There was more agony, I suppose, in the ninetieth minute of our first visit to Solihull with the home side scoring a last-gasp winner to steal all three points.

John Wharton

2001   Farsley Celtic (away) 1-2   It wasn’t our day in Yorkshire and Celtic had established a two goal lead before the interval, although we were unhappy that a Barry Irving goal had been disallowed for offside.  Wayne Johnson did reduce the arrears in the second half but it was too little, too late.  Making his Reds debut that day was John Wharton.

Paul White

1996   Farsley Celtic (home) 2-1   Paul White’s first NPL goal for the club had handed Reds a first half lead against Celtic, paving the way to a welcome win.  Celtic levelled matters with a penalty but our winner also came via the spot with Martin Henderson driving home his 18th goalof the season.   

Chris Collins

1990   Droylsden (away) 1-2   Reds took to the field in blue and white hooped shirts but suffered a blow inside the first three minutes.  Goalkeeper, Keith Hunton, sustained a rib injury and was forced to leave the field with Bob Rice taking over between the posts.  We then had the audacity to take the lead thanks to a well taken Chris Collins’ goal.

But Droylsden turned it round in the second half and two goals saw them obtain the points.

Carl Burdon

1987   Southport (away) 1-1   Current Accrington Stanley boss, John Coleman, was scoring prolifically in the mid-eighties and his 24th of the ’86-87 season was against Reds.  We salvaged a draw at Haig Avenue, though, with our own top scorer, Carl Burdon, netting the equaliser.              

Dave Irving

1979   Worksop Town (home) 3-0   Dave Irving spent a few months of the ’78-79 season back at Borough Park prior to his permanent career switch to America.  He was soon amongst the goals at NPL level and bagged a hat-trick on this occasion including one from the penalty spot.  

It was the first win under Barry Endean’s tenure as manager.

1974   Crewe Alexandra (away) 0-1   Reds included ex. Albion Rovers and Chesterfield player Sam Ferris in the squad at Gresty Road following his loan move from Saltergate.  We lost to the only goal of the game yet Alex, along with Stockport County, Doncaster Rovers and Reds would end the season in the bottom four.

Eddie Holliday

1968   Notts County (away) 1-2   It is not often we have given a former England international a debut but Eddie Holliday made his Reds bow at Meadow Lane fifty three years ago.  The former Middlesbrough, Sheffield Wednesday and Hereford United player gained three caps for the national side but it was our own England Youth international, Brian Tinnion, who scored our goal in the narrow defeat.

1962   Barrow (home) 1-2   Despite taking just one point from the two meetings with the Bluebirds, we finished above them in the table at the end of the ’61-62 campaign.  Carlisle United were 4th, Reds 8th and Barrow 9th

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.
Don`t copy text!