On this day – 29 July

Looking back at Reds’ pre-season outings on the 29th July in recent years…….


Reds were short of numbers for a match at Kendal Town (pictured above) three years ago but the absence of others presented an opportunity to sixteen-year olds Leo Holliday and Cam Harker, with both handed a first team debut.

We still recorded a straightforward 3-1 win and the only disappointment was gifting the hosts their consolation goal late in the second half.

Jack Ryan, Rob Wilson and Jake Simpson shared the goals for blue-shirted Reds.


We travelled to Barrow to contest the Chas Kendall Trophy once again, knowing we had never lifted said cup at Holker Street.

It finished in a 1-1 draw on this occasion, but Barrow emerged 6-5 winners in the penalty shoot-out with Anthony Wright and Adam Main having their spot-kicks saved.  The only Barrow player to miss was Gavin Skelton.

Reds had gone in front just before half time with a cracking goal from new signing, Stuart Green, who marked his debut in style.

Adam Boyes cashed in on a defensive mix-up to equalise just after the restart and our luck was out when a ninetieth minute effort from David McNiven hit the post.


An explosive start at Whitehaven saw Reds score four goals in the opening half hour to emerge 4-0 winners.

Gareth Arnison netted twice and was involved in the others scored by Callum Ruttledge and Matty Tymon.

The Rowntree brothers were on opposite sides with Andrew (Whitehaven) and Gari (Reds) playing against each other.


A lone Matt Henney goal was sufficient to earn a hard-fought win at Dunston who finished with ten men.

And just as Michael Oliver sounded the final whistle, the Red Arrows flew over the ground although the unofficial fly-past had little to do with our victory but more to do with the fact they were returning from the Sunderland Air Show!    


The aforementioned Mr Henney was an opponent seventeen years ago in our friendly at a Gretna.  He was amongst the goals too scoring in Gretna’s 3-0 success.

Gary Cohen, who would eventually spend a season at Borough Park, netted twice in the same game.


Four new signings were unveiled prior to a home game against Queen of the South but the arrival of Derek Walsh, Jeff Henderson, Glen Miller and Terry Green couldn’t prevent a 3-1 defeat by the Dumfries outfit.

Graham Caton had levelled matters for Reds but Queens regained control and a Derek Townsley goal secured their victory.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.
Don`t copy text!