ON THIS DAY: 24 February – Keepers young and old & last gasp winners

Wins aplenty for Reds on the 24 February throughout the non-league era and the odd defeat too…….

2018   Barwell (away) 0-1   Manager Lee Andrews had tried unsuccessfully to recruit some loan players in the build-up to the game and was forced to travel with a depleted twelve man squad, three of whom were not quite 100% fit. 

And the game was decided in the Leicestershire club’s favour when Brady Hickey cashed in on a defensive error to chip the winning goal just before half time.

The win completed a league double, after they had won 2-0 at Borough Park a month earlier, and saw them finish above Reds in the Premier Division table (9th and 11th respectively) having obtained two more points than us!

2016   Penrith (away) 2-1   The team was on Cumberland Cup duty at Frenchfield (featured) and, as is normally the case when we play each other, a number of Workington players had strong Penrith connections and vice versa.

But there was a bizarre situation on this occasion with Robbie Hebson, a non-contract player registered with both clubs, playing a prominent role for the Blues and scoring a cracking goal in the process.

And that was having been a member of the Workington squad the Saturday before and the Saturday after the County Cup tie.

Matty Tymon had volleyed Reds into a 49th minute lead with a wonder goal but Robbie cracked home a superb equaliser.  And the winner came from Scott Allison who converted a penalty after Will Paul upended Phil McLuckie inside the area.

A rather fortunate passage to the semi-final for Reds.

Adam Collin

2009   Droylsden (home) 1-1   It was a case of two penalties in this Blue Square North encounter – we scored from one but Droylsden squandered their opportunity from the spot.

The visitors had opened the scoring with a rather fortunate goal in the first half but Gareth Arnison restored parity when he successfully dispatched a 60th minute penalty.

Adam Collin conceded a last minute penalty but then atoned for his error by keeping out Sean Newton’s kick from twelve yards.

Tony Nicholson
David Hewson

2007   Harrogate Town (home) 3-2   Twice behind in this Nationwide North fixture, Reds put on an excellent second half display to eventually win by the odd goal in five in what was Humphrey Dobie’s first game as Chairman.

Town took the lead on two occasions with Tony Nicholson and David Hewson levelling matters each time, the latter just five minutes from the end.  Nicholson then netted his second, Reds third, heading home a last-gasp decider.  

Neil Thompson

2004   Bamber Bridge (away) 0-2   Reds’ fourteen match unbeaten run came to an abrupt halt in a Unibond League First Division encounter at Ironbridge.  

Anthony Taylor

Reds had handed a debut to seventeen year old goalkeeper, Neil Thompson, and he had to face a penalty just before the interval from which Brig opened the scoring.

Anthony Taylor, now a member of the Select Group of Referees, awarded the spot kick and later booked three players including Reds’ Craig Johnston!

Gary Milne
Keith Mason

2001   North Ferriby United (away) 1-0   Gavin Skelton, in his first spell at the club, emerged as man-of-the-match in Reds’ narrow win on Humberside.  Gary Milne scored the first half goal which ended a three month run without a win and completed a double over Ferriby at the same time.

Keeping a clean sheet for Reds at the other end of the pitch was 42 years old Keith Mason.

Nigel Dustin

1996   Harrogate Town (away) 3-0   A first away win of the season, a first league double, a first brace from Nigel Dustin and a first league goal for Ian Williamson so, all in all, a good afternoon’s work at Wetherby Road.

Ian Williamson

Nigel scored a goal in each half, and was unlucky not to complete a hat-trick, with Ian netting his maiden Reds goal in a game we eventually dominated after Town had forced eight first half corners.

Andy Walker

1990   Irlam Town (away) 2-0   The official attendance for this game was listed as 55 which included half a dozen Reds supporters.  

And those of a Workington persuasion were pleased with the outcome courtesy of second half goals from Graeme Nicholson and Andy Walker, the latter bagging his first for the club.

1979   Macclesfield Town (home) 2-0   Reds fans were still coming to terms with the challenge of non-league football and weren’t happy that the team were languishing in the lower half of the Northern Premier League.  Macclesfield Town were experiencing a tough time too and would finish the ’78-79 campaign at the foot of the table.

Graham Gill and Walter Gillott scored the goals in a comfortable home win.

  • Workington’s best Football League victory on this day was in 1974 when Dave Murray (2), Ron Walker and Dave Helliwell scored in an impressive 4-1 home success against Peterborough United.           

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.
Don`t copy text!