On this day – 24 April

A look through the archives to see what was happening to Reds on 24 April in previous years…….

As a Workington supporter, you certainly appreciate the highs when they come along because of the number of lows experienced over the years.

The feeling at Stourbridge three years ago was one of disappointment.  Although there was a sense of pride on reaching the play-offs in the first place, it was another evening tinged with sadness when we fell at the first hurdle.

Our last tilt at the play-offs in 2017 ended in similar fashion to the four previous attempts, with defeat ending any promotion hopes via the knock-out format.

A fourth place finish presented us with the tie at Stourbridge who ended the regular campaign in 3rd position.

Once you overcome the logistical problems of getting there for a Monday night fixture, there is the small matter of facing a team normally strong on their own patch.  And so it proved.

There was a slow cautious start to the game but it got better over the 120 minutes before we conceded the deciding goal in extra time to lose 3-2.

Stuart Pierpoint had headed the hosts into a first half lead, Dav Symington levelled matters via a free kick only for Luke Benbow to restore the Glassboys lead with a ‘fluke’!  Then, in stoppage time, Dan Wordsworth (pictured) headed home Conor Tinnion’s corner for a last-gasp equaliser.

Jordan Archer emerged as the match winner, though, netting in the 97th minute to break Reds hearts.

Reds could not have given more, which is all you ask, and they were warmly applauded by both our fans and the Stourbridge supporters as they left the field.

And don’t forget, the league game a few months earlier ended in a stinging 5-0 defeat!      

There was certainly a better feeling when we left the field at Glossop North End on this day in 1999 following a comprehensive 3-0 victory.  Our eleventh consecutive win took us a step nearer automatic promotion and into 2nd position.

Darren Wilson, Mathew Henney and Matt Swailes all found the target in another North West Counties League success.

The majority of the league matches played on this day, however, were typical ‘end of season’ affairs with nothing other than pride at stake.

But Reds supporters were not happy with the inept showing against Lincoln United at Borough Park in the final league game of the ’03-04 season.  We lost 5-0 on home soil and it was obvious all thoughts were on the second leg of the President’s Cup Final v. Barrow three days later and not the league match.

Goalkeeper Neil Thompson was sent off in that game and Craig Johnston took over in goal with the former conceding three and Johno facing two penalties for Lincoln’s other two goals.

Craig had enjoyed a better ninety minutes twelve months earlier, scoring two crackers in a 2-1 home win over Kendal Town in 2003.

All Reds fans might have been looking forward to the players parading the championship trophy ahead of tomorrow’s game v. Droylsden – had things gone to plan of course.  But it was Droylsden who were celebrating here in 2007 having just clinched the Nationwide North title, ahead of an entertaining goalless draw at Borough Park.

Welsh opposition was a regular thing in the seventies with Reds travelling to Newport County in 1973 (lost 2-0) and 1976 (won 3-2).  Then, in 1979, we hosted Bangor City and ran out 3-1 winners, skipper John Reach scoring twice in that welcome first win over City and Kevin Matthews (pictured) also on target with his first league goal for Reds.    

Kevin Matthews

And the only Football League success at Borough Park on this day was back in 1954 when we got the better of Halifax Town.  Ernie Whittle netted twice in the 3-1 victory and Jimmy Dailey bagged the other.  Jimmy finished the campaign as top scorer with 11 goals, one ahead of Ernie’s tally of 10.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.
Don`t copy text!