ON THIS DAY: 22 February – Six appeal & first ever win at Victoria Park

A look through the archives to see what was happening to Reds on the 22nd February in previous years…….

2020   Kendal Town (away) 6-0   One of the highlights of the aborted 2019-20 season was the derby match at Parkside Road when a couple of hundred Reds supporters made their way through the aptly named Lake District for a rare Saturday encounter against our ‘nearest neighbours’.

It was a very wet day and the referee conducted several pitch inspections before giving the game go ahead.  On a quagmire surface, Reds then ran-up their best away win in thirty three seasons in the Northern Premier League football, albeit against a poor Kendal outfit.

Still goalless after 44 minutes, Millenic Alli’s goal on the stroke of half time broke Kendal’s resistance.

The floodgates opened in the second half and we bagged five more – to the delight of the exuberant away support!  Skipper Brad Carroll claimed the match ball and Dan Wordsworth and Scott Allison also got their names on the score-sheet.

Brad Carroll – hat trick hero at Kendal Town

Scott’s goal was via the spot but the other five were probably the ‘scruffiest’ we had scored all season.  It didn’t detract from a great afternoon, something that doesn’t happen too often when following the Reds all over the country!

Tom Fowler

2018   Workington Athletic (home) 1-0   Athletic were drawn at home in this Cumberland Cup quarter final tie but the match was switched to Borough Park.  And it was the County League side who won the plaudits as they gave a makeshift Reds XI a ‘run for their money’.  Indeed, we were indebted to an outstanding performance from Tom Fowler who kept Athletic at bay with a series of fine saves.

Scott Allison saved our blushes with a second half winner after Jordan Holt had created the opening.

Scott Allison vs Workington Athletic
Gary Cohen

2005   Burscough (away) 3-1   A first ever win at Victoria Park extended Reds’ lead at the top of the Unibond League Premier Division to thirteen points, although nearest rivals, Hyde United, would eventually make their games in hand count.

Gary Cohen opened the scoring with Steve Archibald and Graham Goulding adding to the tally in the second half but, whilst the aforementioned three enjoyed their evening, Michael Reed didn’t.  It was his full debut for Reds but he had to be stretchered off in some discomfort after suffering a back spasm.

1997   Farsley Celtic (home) 0-2   Celtic’s recent record against the Reds has been very impressive but this visit produced a first success in nine attempts.  Robbie Whellans netted a goal in each half to spoil Keith Hunton’s first home game as manager.

The attendance that day was 153, slightly above average!

Darren Mahone
Sean Sunderland

1992   Harrogate Town (away) 2-0   George Norrie guided Reds to their first win under his tenure with a maiden victory at Wetherby Road, completing a league double against Town at the same time.

Darren Mahone opened the scoring thanks to a confident spot-kick and Sean Sunderland doubled the advantage before half time with the scorers celebrating their first league goals in Workington colours – an all white strip that particular day.

1986   Macclesfield Town (home) 3-0   This was a best ever home win against Macc and achieved thanks to a first half goal from Gary Messenger and two after the break via Billy Gilmour and Tony Chilton.      

Gary Messenger
Billy Gilmour

Gilmour would end the afternoon at hospital after a collision with visiting ‘keeper Alan Zelem.

On the bench for Town that day was Dave Goodwin who had spent a loan spell (seven games) with Reds during our final season in the League.

1975   Shrewsbury Town (home) 0-2   The final Fourth Division table for that season listed Town as runners-up and Reds next to bottom of the twenty four teams.  The gap in standards on the pitch was evident too with two first half goals clinching a comfortable win for the visitors.

Alan Durhan, the former Derby County, Cardiff City and Welsh international converted Town’s second goal via the penalty spot.

1958   Chesterfield (home) 0-2   The home defeat by Chesterfield wasn’t a shock – they had beaten us 3-0 at Saltergate – but the departure of two players was a surprise to some.  Tommy Kinloch and Ted Purdon had played their last game and were transferred as Joe Harvey attempted to ‘freshen-up’ the team.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.
Don`t copy text!