On this day – 20 November

A look through the diaries to see what was happening to Reds on the 20th November in years gone by……………..

Today marks an unwanted anniversary, it being thirty eight years since Borough Park hosted an FA Cup First Round proper tie.  That’s way before Danny Grainger was born and too long ago for the younger generation of Workington supporters to remember, many of whom won’t have seen Reds play an FA Cup tie during November!

It was on this day in 1982 that Reds hosted Doncaster Rovers, a Third Division side managed by the legendary Billy Bremner (above).

Rovers were having a difficult season but had watched us at Penrith in the previous round, a 2-0 replay victory at Southend Road.

Although Graham Gill had the satisfaction of scoring for Reds, it wasn’t enough on the day and goals from Owen and Austin secured a 2-1 win for Rovers.  The outcome might have been different had John Smith converted from the penalty spot but his effort was saved by Dennis Peacock.

The Workington line-up that afternoon was:

Gerard Fisher, Neil McDonald (Martin Harris), Bryan Kent, Gary Benfold, Ian Johnston, Vaughn Williams, Allan Carruthers, John Smith, Graham Gill, Dennis Wann, Wayne Harrison. 

Reds had played three other cup ties on this particular day as a Football League club.

In 1976, we travelled to Gigg Lane, Bury but suffered an embarrassing afternoon in a crushing 6-0 defeat.

But we did experience better times in 1971 and 1954.

Robert Ennis

A home tie against Hyde United in 1954 drew a 10,000 ‘gate’ to Borough Park and the majority of that magnificent crowd went home happy after a 5-1 home win.  Jack Bertolini, Ernie Whittle (2) and Jimmy Dailey (2) scored the goals against the Cheshire League side.

There was also a comfortable 3-1 win to celebrate after a 1971 First Round trip to Southport, which followed a 2-2 draw at Haig Avenue in the league.   

Sharing the goals that day were Wayne Nicholls, his first for the club, Tommy Spencer and Jimmy Goodfellow.

There was a touch of the unusual about our 2004 fixture at Wakefield-Emley with the game played at Wakefield Trinity’s Belle View stadium.  We obtained a point following a 1-1 draw with the highlight a superb twenty five yarder from Robert Ennis (inset) which had given us a half time lead, against the run of play it has to be said.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.
Don`t copy text!