On this day – 20 April

A look through the archives to see what was happening to Reds on 20 April in years gone by…….

Whilst reviewing matches played on this corresponding day, there seems to have been numerous penalties awarded and few own-goals scored as the Reds have either flirted with promotion or relegation.

Twelve months ago, the goals had dried up and we had gone four games without scoring so there was a sense of gratitude when we were awarded two penalties in our game at Buxton.  Both were converted by Jason Walker, his final goals for the club, but it made little difference to the outcome as we lost 3-2.

Back in 1985, we were involved in a game at Hyde United where three penalties were given.  Both sides converted from the spot but Reds’ keeper, Keith Hunton, made a fine save from the second one he faced to salvage a point in a 2-2 draw.  John Smith had netted our penalty with Neil Bramhall scoring in open play.

There was an early penalty awarded to Reds on a first ever visit to Great Harwood Town back in 1978 but, despite it being dispatched by Walter Gillott, we eventually lost 3-1with Town’s third also coming from the spot.

And a spot-kick successfully converted by Burton Albion in a Sunday game at Eton Park in 1980 proved to be a turning point.  We were still in contention, although a goal down, but conceded the penalty and immediately collapsed, eventually taking a 5-0 hammering.

Then in 1991, we could have won a home match against Radcliffe Borough but David Taylor’s spot-kick cleared the bar and we had to settle for a point in a goalless draw.

We managed to win a game at Lancaster City in 2006, with or without a spot-kick, but the 1-0 victory still felt a sense of injustice.  This was the replayed match after the original had been abandoned due to a floodlight failure, with Reds leading 4-0 when the lights went out.

Lee Hoolickin’s goal was a worthy winner, though.      

The brilliant end of season winning sequence was gathering momentum in 1999 when a 700 plus crowd, on a filthy wet night, witnessed a 4-0 North West Counties League home win over Rossendale United.  This was one of the games where we benefitted from an own-goal but two more from teenage sensation, Grant Holt, and one from Matt Henney secured a comfortable win.

And whilst on the subject of teenage scorers, there was a wonder goal to savour from Alan Stewart (pictured) on this day in 1987.  His stunning strike late in the game  appeared to have earned us a narrow victory over Morecambe but they spoiled Alan’s day, and ours, with a scrappy equaliser sixty seconds later.

Alan Stewart

We enjoyed more success on this day as a Football League club and a 1976 win at Hartlepool was most welcome.  Reds hadn’t won an away game all season but recorded a 2-0 victory in our penultimate fixture on the road.

An own-goal had given us the lead before Barry Donaghy (pictured) made sure of the points with a well taken second.

We were also thankful for an own-goal in 1965 at Oakwell, the opener in an impressive 3-0 win over Barnsley.  Dave Butler and Jimmy Moran added to the OG to secure the points against the relegated Tykes.

Jimmy Dailey scored on this day in 1955 and 1957.  He bagged two in a 4-0 triumph over Gateshead at Borough Park in the former but his goal at Accrington Stanley two years later couldn’t prevent a 2-1 defeat. And of the twelve defeats suffered on the 20 April in the past, none hurt as much as the 7-1 pasting we took at Gateshead back in 1935!

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.
Don`t copy text!