ON THIS DAY: 2 February – A Derby double & a sparkling Diamond performance

The 2nd February has been a good day to be a Workington Reds supporter in previous years with numerous victories to celebrate…….

1957   Derby County (away) 3-2   The Third Division North table for the 1956-57 season made pleasant reading for Reds supporters with the team attaining a 4th place finish.  The table indicated that we had obtained twenty four wins and two of those represented a league double over the champions – Derby County.

Reds’ win at the old Baseball Ground, before a 25,306 attendance, is definitely one of our stand-out results, not only of that memorable season but the entire Football League era.  It was certainly a proud day for Workington born Ernie Talbot who scored twice with Tommy Kinloch also finding the target from the penalty spot. 

Barry Diamond

1980   Lancaster City (away) 4-3   A memorable evening for Reds and Barry Diamond in particular.  Reds were 2-1 down at the interval but recovered to win a seven goal thriller, thanks to a hat-trick from the young Scot – Workington’s first in a Northern Premier League ‘away’ game. Former City player, Graham Gill, also scored that night.

1982   Netherfield (home) 1-0   Reds finished the game with only ten men following Ian Innes’ dismissal but still managed to obtain the points thanks to John Smith’s second half winner.  The victory completed a league double against our south Cumbrian neighbours.

1985   Gainsborough Trinity (home) 0-0   Trinity finished below us in the NPL table but had beaten us at The Northolme and, in fairness, probably deserved the draw in Cumbria.  Keith Hunton was happy enough, though, with another clean sheet for him.

1991   Newtown (away) 0-0   A blizzard had hampered Reds journey to mid-Wales and the outward journey took six hours and resulted in a late kick-off (1520).  It was a good performance under the circumstances and one which earned our only point at Latham Park.

Billy Gilmour

1993   Southport (home) 2-1   Reds were enjoying a good run in the League Cup under Alan Cook’s management and had already knocked out Premier Division opponents Fleetwood Town.  Could we do the same to the League leaders, Southport?  The answer came in the form of an excellent 2-1 success at Borough Park.  Southport were a goal to the good at half time albeit via a fortunate deflected goal but Billy Gilmour struck twice to complete the giant-killing act and Reds were through to the next round.

An indication of the tough times we had been through was illustrated by the gate of 310 – the best at Borough Park for four years!

2008   AFC Telford United (home) 0-1   A goalless draw looked the most likely outcome with neither goalkeeper troubled.  Then, in stoppage time, the visitors marked their first visit to Borough Park with a last-gasp winner.  A point apiece would have been a fairer outcome.

The 3 Joes – Greenhalgh, St. Juste and McGee

2013   Colwyn Bay (away) 4-1   This was Reds’ first win at Llanelian Road and a best win on Welsh soil since the mid-sixties.  The list of scorers was unusual too with three Josephs – McGee, St. Juste and Greenhalgh – all netting their first goal for the club.  Phil McLuckie also scored, a header, as Darren Edmondson’s side produced a polished performance.

Jake Simpson

2016   Blyth Spartans (home) 2-0   League leaders Spartans were given a chasing at Borough Park but it was still 0-0 with a quarter of an hour to go.  Jake Simpson broke the deadlock with a thirty yard scorcher and Scott Allison grabbed a second five minutes before time.

Niall Cowperthwaite

2019   Grantham Town (away) 2-0   Two late goals also secured the points in south Lincolnshire.  Niall Cowperthwaite lashed home the opener and then took the corner from which Matty Douglas headed the second.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.
Don`t copy text!