On this day – 18 November

Looking through the archives to see what was happening to Reds on the 18th November in recent years………….

Workington were playing at Worksop Town on this day in 2006 and it proved a red later day for the Club.  Following an impressive 3-1victory at Sandy Lane, Reds went to the top of Nationwide North for the first time.

Tommy Cassidy’s side claimed top spot on goal difference – just ahead of Hinckley United and Blyth Spartans with three clubs on thirty points.

An explosive start to the game saw Reds race into a three goal lead, with Wayne Gordon, Craig Johnston and Mathew Henney (the scorers pictured above) all finding the target inside the opening twenty minutes.

The Tigers reduced the arrears early in the second half from the penalty spot but we defended well after that to emerge worthy winners.

Our team that afternoon was: Adam Collin, Darren Edmondson (Dean Douglas – Graham Goulding), Alan Inglis, Kyle May, Alan Gray, Matt Henney, Tony Hopper, Steve Birks, Craig Johnston, Wayne Gordon, Anthony Wright.  Substitutes – Tom Curwen, Pete Ferris and Craig Summersgill (not used).

Worksop Town had also been our opponents in 1978 but we lost 1-0 on that occasion at Town’s former ground, Central Avenue.

We were in FA Trophy action six years ago and an assured performance saw off Witton Albion in a replay at Borough Park.

Alex Newby, now at Rochdale, scored his first goal for Reds to give us a first half lead with Matty Tymon and Gareth Arnison adding two more after the break.

Our interest in the Trophy would end in the next round at Boston United.

 A 4-1 score line finished in our favour more recently in 2017 when we hosted Rushall Olympic at Borough Park. 

Matty Douglas headed home the opening goal but the Walsall side equalised on the hour.  We dominated the match thereafter and Scott Allison (2) and Nathan Waterston scored further goals to secure the points.

The attendance in 2017 was 430 but compare that to the gate back in 1959 when 8,374 fans witnessed a 3-0 home win over Southport in an FA Cup replay. Reds’ scorers sixty one years ago were Ken Booth, Peter Harburn and Ron McGarry.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.
Don`t copy text!