ON THIS DAY: 16 March – Quickest ever Conference goal & Faroese visitors


2013   Histon (home) 3-1   Gareth Arnison scored after twenty five seconds in the Blue Square Bet North fixture – Workington’s quickest ever goal in nine seasons of Conference football.

Arnison scored again after twenty five minutes and Jonny Wright also found the target in between as Reds established what proved an unassailable 3-0 lead.

The Cambridgeshire side came more into the picture in the second half, scoring a well taken consolation goal, but the groundwork had been done and Workington went on to record their only win in six outings against Histon. 

2010   Southport (away) 0-2   When Reds lost at Haig Avenue in mid-March, even the more optimistic Workington supporters felt that reaching the play-offs would be unlikely but Darren Edmondson’s team thought otherwise and a great winning run got them up to 4th!

Haig Avenue

They were two goals in arrears after a poor first half and, although there was an improvement after the break, the damage had been done.

Amongst the hardy band of Workington supporters on the terraces was a former Reds legend, Graham Gill.  He took the opportunity to watch the team in action a short journey from his Lancashire home.

2004   Rossendale United (home) 0-1   After two impressive away wins and nine goals scored, Reds game back to earth with an almighty bump and were second best against lowly Rossendale.  The Lancashire side scored a second a second half winner but also hit the woodwork twice and looked calm and assured throughout.

Glenn Murray did get the ball in the net but was rightly booked for a ‘hand of God goal’!

Barry Irving

2002   North Ferriby United (home) 1-1   Barry Irving headed home a fine goal to give the hosts an interval lead but the Humberside club recovered and, to be fair, deserved their point secured by a 47th minute equaliser.

Billy Gilmour

1996   Warrington Town (away) 3-2   For the second season running, Reds won by the odd goal in five at Cantilever Park and did so after conceding an early goal.

Billy Gilmour’s two headed goals and a well taken Jarrod Suddick effort secured the points after an entertaining mid-table clash.

Billy’s 49th and 50th goals for Workington included the match winner seven minutes from time.     

1988   Itrottarfelag Fuglafjardar (home) 4-1   Reds played a mid season friendly against a team from the Faroe Islands with IF on a mini tour in the north of England.

I gather their second half goal was scored by Ellingsgaard but there were several players of that name in the IF squad.

Reds scored twice in each half with Mark Pearson, Carl Burdon, Colin McArthur and Chris Collins all making their mark against the Faroese.

IF are the most northerly of the ten teams who make up the top flight, have one title success to their credit and have competed in the UEFA Europa League three times in recent seasons.

1985   Worksop Town (home) 3-0   Graham Gill marked his 300th appearance for Reds with the second goal in a comfortable victory against the Tigers.

Neil Bramhall had opened the scoring with Jim Pearson also finding the back of the Town net.

Town finished the campaign in 7th position, Reds just behind in 8th!

1982   Mossley (home) 0-4   This was the first game of a two-legged League Cup semi-final with Reds swept aside by a powerful Mossley outfit on a disappointing Tuesday night at Borough Park.

The Seel Park outfit duly progressed, overcoming Reds 6-1 on aggregate, but then lost to Gainsborough Trinity in the final at Manchester City’s Maine Road ground.

Barry Donaghy

1980   Netherfield (away) 2-2   Twice behind against our South Cumbrian neighbours, Reds salvaged a point with a stoppage time equaliser but most of our supporters had left the ground in frustration and missed the goal.

Barry Donaghy scored both for us including the late face-saver.

It was another double header for Reds with the short trip to Kendal for a Sunday afternoon fixture following a game at Borough Park twenty four hours earlier.

Workington’s Football League record on this day was poor to say the least.

We lost 4-1 at Cambridge United in 1976, 3-0 at Stockport County in 1973, 2-1 at Barnsley in 1968, obtained a point from a 2-2 draw at Hartlepools United back in 1963, suffered a 4-0 defeat here in 1959 inflicted upon us by Crystal Palace and also lost on home soil to Chester in 1957.

The defeat at Stockport had been master-minded by former Reds boss, Brian Doyle, who was then in charge at Edgeley Park.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.
Don`t copy text!