ON THIS DAY: 15 March – County Cup victory over Keswick & Jimmy Irving debut goal

“Beware the Ides of March”, a warning which could easily have applied to all Workington supporters, as well as the Roman general, Julius Caesar, because results on the 15th March in previous years have been a mixture of good (very few), bad (too many) and indifferent (several)…….

2016   Keswick (home) 3-0   A seventeenth meeting between the clubs in the Cumberland Cup provided a comfortable passage into the final for a makeshift Reds XI.  Although several reserve team players were given an opportunity, it was seniors Matty Tymon and Scott Allison (2) who scored the goals in a straightforward victory.

Included in the Westmorland League team were the likes of Stevie Hindmarch and Richard Bannister, not forgetting their manager, Paul Frampton, all of whom had served Reds in the past.

2014   Brackley Town (home) 0-3   Workington were outplayed from the first minute to the last as the Northamptonshire side obtained three Skrill North points without moving out of third gear.

Deflated – Sam and Danijel

There was plenty of effort from Reds but the simple fact was we weren’t good enough.

A twentieth league defeat of the season left us nine points from safety, a situation which wouldn’t improve!

Gareth Arnison

2011   Guiseley (away) 2-2   Reds have conceded many goals at Nethermoor and lost more often and not there but this was a decent performance, twice coming from behind to obtain a deserved draw.

James Walshaw scored twice for the hosts whilst Gareth Arnison did likewise for Darren Edmondson’s side.  Arni’s first equaliser was a well directed header and the second a measured finish after a great team move from back to front.

Guiseley squeezed into the play-offs, Reds managed a solid mid-table finish.

Michael Reed

2008   Hinckley United (home) 1-1   This was our eighth game against the Leicestershire side who remained unbeaten in the series.

United scored via the last attack of the first half and Reds had to wait until the 85th minute before Michael Reed levelled matters from close range.

2003   Leek Town (home) 0-1   Our play-offs hopes suffered another blow with Leek, unbeaten in five visits to Borough Park, coming out on top in this mid-table Unibond League encounter.  They scored the winner on the half hour mark and then defended resolutely for the remainder of the game.

Borough Park had just had a makeover of sorts and a batch of blue seats, purchased after the demolition of Leicester City’s Filbert Street ground, had been installed on the Popular Side and used for the first time.

Tommy Spencer

1997   Matlock Town (away) 0-1   This defeat, coupled with victories for Gretna and Warrington Town, culminated in Reds slumping to the foot of the Unibond League First Division table.

The lack of creativity was the main problem because there was certainly no lack of effort.  But we didn’t register a serious shot on target and went through the game without winning a corner!

Former Workington favourite Tommy Spencer was facing Reds for the first time as Matlock boss.

1994   Gretna (away) 0-1   A disappointing end to our Cumberland Cup campaign with future Reds player, Derek Walsh, scoring the only goal during extra time of the semi-final at Raydale Park.

Gretna went on to lift the cup at the expense of Carlisle United.

1986   South Liverpool (home) 0-0   Known as the Multipart League in those days, Reds (18) and South (17) were the season’s draw specialists.

No surprise then that the Borough Park clash finished all square.

Wayne Harrison’s shot struck the woodwork and that was the closest either side came to winning with Reds’ ‘keeper, Mike McMullen enjoying a trouble free afternoon.

1980   Witton Albion (home) 2-3   This was a case of struggling Workington hosting high-flying Albion but what turned out to be a cracking game was overshadowed by a serious injury to Reds’ recent signing, Billy Witherspoon.

He had a sparked a second half revival after Witton had strolled into a two goal interval lead.  Along with Graham Gill, he netted to get Reds back on level terms only for the visitors to be then gifted a winner.

But Billy was pole-axed in the penalty area and lay motionless on the ground for some time with a trapped nerve in his neck the problem.  Thankfully, the injury wasn’t as bad as first feared but he never played for the club again, unfortunately.

1978   Frickley Athletic (away) 2-1   Manager Dave Wilson had to cope with some last minute changes when north east duo, Barry Endean and Barry Donaghy, failed to arrive at the ground because of a breakdown en route.

It meant that Jimmy Irving was named in the starting XI having travelled as thirteenth man.

And it turned out to be a great night for the Maryport teenager who scored Reds’ second goal – his first for the club – in a shock victory.  Steve Crelling had opened the scoring a minute earlier.

Frickley reduced the arrears from a debatable penalty but Reds, without a substitute, emerged worthy winners.

1975   Exeter City (away) 0-1   The Devon side completed a Fourth Division double over Reds which, based on form, was probably expected.  They eventually finished in 9th position whilst Reds were marooned in the bottom four!

1972   Northampton Town (home) 2-0   We developed a proud home record against Town (eight wins and two draws from ten meetings) but this was the first and only time we inflicted a league double upon them.

Tommy Spratt and Dave Irving (Jimmy’s elder brother) scored the goals which got the better of Northampton who included future Liverpool and England star, Phil Neal, in their line-up.

Billy Griffin

1966   York City (home) 2-1   This was a contrasting season for the two clubs – Reds were on their way to a highest ever Football League placing (5th in the Third Division) whilst the Minstermen would finish rock-bottom and be relegated.

Ken Oliver and Billy Griffin scored the goals which secured the victory on this occasion.

1958   Bury (away) 0-3   Reds had won the Borough Park encounter by a three goal margin so this was sweet revenge for Bury in the return.  They eventually won more home games (17) than any other Third Division North club that season.

1952   Oldham Athletic (home) 0-1   Reds went into the game without a win in ten and the poor run continued as Oldham scored the only goal of an evenly fought contest.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.
Don`t copy text!