ON THIS DAY: 14 March – Tinner’s stunner & double over Matlock


2020   Tadcaster Albion (away) 4-2   This will go down as Workington Reds last day of ‘normal’ before the enormity of the pandemic started to emerge and what a torrid twelve months the world has endured since.

Conor Tinnion

Tadcaster were returning to their Global stadium after the devastation of the February floods, lifting the spirits of the home support, but there was a general unease amongst everyone as we all tried to predict the Prime Minister’s next announcement.

Top flight football (Premier, EFL, Scottish, Welsh and Irish plus many leagues at non-league level) had been suspended the day before and the NPL would quickly follow suit but it was ‘business as usual’ on this mid-March Saturday, albeit with an air of uncertainty.

The match itself was entertaining, yet surreal, and Reds signed off with a victory although that probably looked unlikely when ‘Tad’ opened the scoring inside sixty seconds.

Scott Allison equalised via a dubious penalty, Reds then went in front thanks to a stunning Conor Tinnion free kick only for the hosts to level matters again.  Skipper Tinnion restored the advantage with a wonder goal and the meaningless victory was secured when Millenic Alli bagged a fourth just before time.

It was one of those ‘I was there’ moments.

Next match – Matlock Town
Alex Salmon

2015   Matlock Town (away) 1-0   The match winner was officially timed at two minutes and five seconds with several late arrivals at the turnstiles missing the only goal of the game.

Alex Salmon pounced on a loose ball to drive home the early decider on our first visit to Causeway Lane in a decade.  We couldn’t add to that early goal and when on to complete a double over Town despite playing the final thirty five minutes with only ten men after Gari Rowntree was sent off.

The welcome three points lifted Reds to fourth position in the table.

Dean Gordon

2009   Hyde United (home) 2-2   Reds twice took the lead in this Blue Square North encounter but, each time, poor defending handed lowly Hyde an equaliser.  Andy Cook served up his first Borough Park goal and the prolific Gareth Arnison also hit the target for his 19th of the season.

There was a ‘new signing’ on the bench with the experienced Dean Gordon drafted in to make up the numbers.  His previous clubs included Crystal Palace, Middlesbrough, Cardiff City, Coventry City, Reading, Blackpool and many, many more.

Darren Edmondson

2006   Alfreton Town (away) 3-1   Despite a host of absentees and a lengthy midweek journey, Reds produced an excellent display at North Street to finish emphatic winners.

Craig Johnston skippered the side which included several names probably unfamiliar to Workington supporters – the likes of Gary Prosser, Alan Weaver, Aaron Rogers and Aaron Jewell all sampling first team football but rarely heard of again!       

The Alfreton Reds scored first but the real Reds were ahead at the break thanks to Darren Edmondson’s equaliser and one from Matt Henney.  The latter added his second, Reds’ third, in the seventy fifth minute to make the four hour journey home a happy one.

2000   Flixton (away) 0-0   Another of those clubs who, sadly, no longer exist but caused us a few problems whilst we were league rivals.

It was our first clean sheet (and point) in three visits to the Valley Road ground but, once again, we failed to score there

Goalkeeper, Gary Hoggeth, at least had the satisfaction of keeping the opposition at bay but it was two points dropped rather than one gained!

Nigel Dustin

1998   Farsley Celtic (away) 1-2   Nigel Dustin’s first half finish had eased Reds ahead but the hosts fought back strongly after the break and two well taken goals turned the game in their favour.

It was Reds first defeat in six games but disappointing nevertheless.

Alan Cook

1993   Bridlington Town (home) 0-1   Another case of the manager of the month curse striking as Reds’ twelve match unbeaten run was brought to an abrupt halt.

Alan Cook had collect the monthly award for February’s exploits prior to kick-off then had to watch as the Yorkshire side obtained the points.  They should have had some reward from a game which saw them hit the woodwork on three occasions.

This was a Sunday afternoon fixture after the team had played at Harrogate the previous day.

1992   Guiseley (away) 0-6   An embarrassing afternoon for George Norrie’s side as we shipped four goals in the first half and two more in the second.

As one of our old managers might have said, “we were lucky to get nil.”

Needless to say, it was our heaviest defeat at Nethermoor.

Gary Messenger

1987   Caernarfon Town (home) 1-1   The Welsh outfit emerged as FA Cup giant killers during the ’86-87 season and, after starting in the First Qualifying Round, had knocked out Marine, Winsford United, Eastwood Town, Chester-le-Street, Football League sides Stockport County and York City (away) before going out in a replay at Barnsley.

But Reds performed well against them on the day and were unlucky not to record a victory.  A superbly crafted and well taken Gary Messenger goal did secure the draw after the visitors had scored first.

Vaughn Williams

1981   Runcorn (home) 1-1   Vaughn Williams’ first Borough Park goal salvaged a draw against the league leaders in a thoroughly enjoyable game at Borough Park.  Runcorn, enjoying a great season which culminated in them winning the title and promotion to the Alliance League, had been in front but Reds recovered and a good second half showing earned the point they deserved.

Johnny Martin

1970   Port Vale (home) 3-2   Gordon Lee’s promotion chasing Vale side found Brian Doyle’s Reds in a good run of form as we battled to stay out of the Fourth Division’s re-election zone.

We were unbeaten in five, the win over Vale made it six and it eventually extended to nine as we pieced together our best spell of the season.

Johnny Martin scored twice on the day and was accompanied on the score sheet by Tommy Spratt.

Dave Carr

1964   Darlington (home) 3-0   Whilst the first team were comfortably progressing to a home win, the Reserves were losing against Darlington Reserves at Feethams.

It was the Fourth Division clash which mattered of course and the promotion dream took another step towards reality as we obtained another two points.

Former Darlington player, Dave Carr, scored one of the goals with Barry Lowes’ brace keeping us in the top four.

Johnny Haasz

1963   Mansfield Town (home) 3-2   Reds had endured a poor run throughout the winter months but got back on track against top four side, Mansfield, winning by the odd goal in five.

Hungarian, Johnny Haasz, enjoyed the Thursday fixture with his two goals including one from the penalty spot.  Mike Commons also found the target.

1959   Coventry City   (away) 0-4   Coventry played in the city of Coventry in those days and our only visit to their old Highfield Road stadium was even before they adopted their famous sky blue colours.

The match at Borough Park had also produced four goals but we got a point on that occasion.  The second meeting was more daunting as the eventual runners-up emerged emphatic winners in a one-sided encounter.

Andy Mullen

1953   Chester (home) 1-2   Andy Mullen, who is still alive today, scored Reds goal in this home defeat to fellow strugglers, Chester.  We were already two down at that point, though, and the win saw the visitors leap-frog us in the table.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.
Don`t copy text!