ON THIS DAY: 12 December

Reflecting on a league win and closely fought encounters in the FA Cup, Trophy and Vase on the 12 December in years gone by……

A Monday night trip to Droylsden fifteen years ago went better than anticipated with Reds recording a first ever win at the Butcher’s Arms ground (pictured above), securing three welcome Conference North points in the process.

It was goalless after the opening forty five minutes before Tommy Cassidy’s side raced into a three goal thanks to two of our substitutes.

Lee Hoolikin
Wayne Gordon

Lee Hoolickin netted the first and two well taken goals from Wayne Gordon put us firmly in control.

But, in true Reds fashion, we then conceded two quick goals to give Droylsden hope and the last quarter of an hour was less enjoyable than it should have been.

In 1998, Workington played their first ever FA Vase tie at Borough Park hosting Tow Law Town in front of a four-figure crowd, 1,160 no less.

It was the best attendance in that particular round of the Vase, better than nine Scottish League fixtures and better than forty four senior non-league matches.

Stuart Williamson

Stuart Williamson met an inch perfect Paul Stewart cross to head Reds in front but the Northern League outfit equalised early in the second half and even a period of extra time couldn’t separate the sides.

We did win the replay, however.

John Burridge

John Burridge was one of our heroes on this day in 1970 as Fourth Division Reds travelled to play Third Division Chesterfield at their old Saltergate ground.

The Spireites, who included Kevin Randall and Ernie Moss in their line-up in those days, were strong at home and eventually finished fifth but they couldn’t breach our defence with Budgie keeping a clean sheet in a goalless draw.

The near 11,000 crowd included a coach load from Workington who enjoyed the long journey home.

Once again, we won the replay.

More recently, in 2009, we hosted Nuneaton Town in an FA Trophy match and an 85th minute winner from Phil McLuckie helped us progress after the 2-1 score line finished in our favour.

Gareth Arnison had opened the scoring but Nuneaton equalised via Rob Oddy’s penalty.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.
Don`t copy text!