ON THIS DAY: 10 January – First ever visit and victory

The 10th January seems to have proved successful when Reds have played league matches on this day in the past – not so when we have been on cup duty…….

A first ever visit to the Weaver Stadium in 2015 turned out to be an enjoyable afternoon with Reds claiming three precious points after overcoming the hosts, Nantwich Town, by the odd goal in five.

Matty Tymon

The Dabbers scored the first and last goals but Reds dominated in between and we won more comfortably than the score suggests.

Scott Allison equalised in the first half with a fine team goal, Matty Tymon’s tenth of a productive personal campaign gave Reds a half time lead and Conor Tinnion increased the advantage early in the second half thanks to a brilliant solo effort.

The win lifted us to fifth in the table, Nantwich were anchored in mid table.

The Reds team six years ago was:

Jamieson, Simpson, Rowntree, Wordsworth, Calvert, Skelton (Smith S), Allison (Telfer), McLuckie, Tymon (Wright A), Arnison, Tinnion.  Substitutes – Andrew, Mwasile.

A 3-0 home win over Leek Town in 2004 was our first success against them at Borough Park, at the sixth attempt, and completed a league double in the process.

Glenn Murray

We had to be patient, though, with all three goals coming in the last ten minutes.

Glenn Murray got the first before two crackers from Craig Johnston secured the points.

The fixture featured on the Pools coupon and if you are not sure what that meant – ask your dad or Walshie!

During the early part of 1987, we were still playing matches at Lonsdale Park due the closure of Borough Park.

Rhyl were our visitors thirty-three years ago and, although the North Wales outfit opened the scoring, Workington ran out worthy 3-1 winners.

Martin Gaffney

Keith Glover equalised with his first senior goal for the club and further strikes from Gary Messenger and Martin Gaffney confirmed our superiority.

Rhyl’s substitute at ramshackle Lonsdale Park was Steve Daley who was transferred from Wolves to Manchester City for £1.4 million eight years earlier!

First half goals from Barry Diamond, John Smith, Graham Gill and John Reach put Reds firmly in control in our 1981 home clash against Buxton but it was the visitors who ‘won the second half’ as the NPL encounter finished 4-1 in our favour.

Our only Football League outing on this day was in 1964 when two more points were banked in our promotion season following a 1-0 success against York City.

Mike Commons scored the only goal of the game which also completed a league double over the Minstermen.   

We were involved in the FA Cup in 1968, hosting a Second Round replay against Doncaster Rovers where we had drawn (1-1) the previous Saturday.

It began well for Reds and Brian Tinnion opened the scoring with a well taken goal after half an hour.

Doncaster eventually equalised eight minutes from the end with Graham Watson’s goal taking the game into extra time.  And the heart break for Reds’ supporters was completed when Keith Webber snatched a late winner.

Rovers lost in the 3rd Round to Swansea Town. More recently, in 2017, we lost in an Integro League Cup tie against a Clitheroe side skippered by Brad Carroll.  They also included Alex Newby in their squad and a goal in each half comfortably disposed of a makeshift Reds XI.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.
Don`t copy text!