ON THIS DAY: 10 February – Debut goals & Stanley Matthews in the dugout

A look through the diaries reveals that Reds have pieced together an impressive, unbeaten record on the 10th February over the past sixty years or so…….

Alan Nichol

2007   Worksop Town (home) 3-2   The club had been saddened by the sudden passing of reserve team boss, Alan Nichol, and a minute of silence was observed prior to the first team fixture at Borough Park in his memory.

Alan would certainly have approved of the performance and the result in an entertaining contest.

Derek Townsley

Craig Johnston opened the scoring on the stroke of half time with a well struck penalty and he was joined on the score sheet by Derek Townsley – his first goal for the club – and skipper, Steve Birks.  The win completed a Nationwide North league double over the Tigers.

Gary Milne

2001   Lincoln United (home)  2-2   With the games involving Carlisle United and Barrow the subject of late postponements, the Reds Unibond League fixture was featured live on BBC Radio Cumbria with our old friend, Keith Richardson, providing the commentary.

It was a good game for the listener and the 212 who passed through the turnstiles with Lincoln establishing a 2-0 lead before the hosts came storming back.  Gary Milne reduced the arrears before half time and then capped a fine individual performance by heading home a last gasp equaliser.

David Taylor

1990   Eastwood Hanley (home) 1-0   David Taylor scored the only goal of an entertaining game against the Potteries side but interest in the club was at a low ebb and just 108 people had bothered to turn out to support the team.

Martin Harris

1982   Southport (away) 2-1   We had been held to a draw at Borough Park in a League Cup tie but completed the job by winning the replay at Haig Avenue.  Martin Harris and John Smith scored Reds’ goals during the first half in a closely fought encounter.

1979   Haig Colliery (away) 2-1   Reds acquitted themselves well in a feisty Cumberland Cup tie against the holders at Whitehaven.  And they did so after losing goalkeeper, Gerard Fisher, who was taken to West Cumberland Hospital to have stitches inserted in a nasty gash on his leg.  Ian Johnston took over between the posts for the remaining seventy five minutes but Haig rarely troubled the makeshift ‘keeper.

Ian Johnston

Walter Gillott headed Reds into the lead and Dave Irving doubled the advantage from a well struck penalty before George Thompson netted a late consolation goal for the hosts.

Irving was sent off ten minutes before the end but the ten men completed the job without too much concern.

Dave Murray

1974   Doncaster Rovers (home) 3-1   As debuts go, Dave Murray’s introduction to Fourth Division football was quite spectacular.  Promoted to the first team on the strength of a hat-trick for the Reserves the previous week, Dave scored two crackers in his first Football League outing putting Doncaster to the sword in the process.

Ian Hall

He was christened ‘Bullet’ by team mates because of the ferocity of his shooting prowess and quickly became a fans favourite.  There was another first time scorer that day with Ian Hall netting his maiden league goal.          

1973   Hartlepool (home) 0-0    Ian McDonald was drafted in for his Workington debut and wore Johnny Martin’s number eleven shirt to mark the occasion – Johnny was injured by the way!  ‘Macca’ and his new colleagues failed to find the target but another Mike Rogan clean sheet made sure of the point.

1968   Port Vale (home) 1-1  The great Stanley Matthews, who had played at Borough Park eleven years earlier, was back in town as manager of Port Vale.  The visitors were in front following a 3rd minute goal but Reds fought back and were level before half time thanks to Billy Griffin’s equaliser.

Playing for Vale that day was Jimmy Goodfellow who would subsequently spend five years with Reds – the majority as skipper.

1962   Rochdale (away) 3-1   Reds had struggled to overcome ‘Dale at home but this deserved success at Spotland completed a league double.  Mike Commons was the main goal threat and he would finish the campaign with twenty league goals including two at Rochdale with our Hungarian, Johnny Haasz, also finding the target.

Charlie Wright

1961   York City (home) 2-0   A future York City manager helped Reds to a commendable victory over the Minstermen with goalkeeper, Charlie Wright, keeping a clean sheet against a team just above us in the Fourth Division table.    Sharing the goals that day were Tommy Dixon and Peter Harburn.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.
Don`t copy text!