On this day – 07 December

Looking back through the archives to see what was happening to Reds on the 7th December in years gone by………..

When life was ticking over twelve months ago, in what we all believed was ‘normal’ circumstances, who would have predicted the world wide devastation and heartbreak that quickly became the new normal throughout 2020.

From a football perspective, it was good to be a Workington supporter and a 4-2 victory at Ossett United on this day took Reds three points clear at the top of the table.

Robbie Hebson

Thanks to three Robbie Hebson assists, Reds had established a 3-1 half time lead with Sam Smith, Scott Allison and Nathan Waterston all finding the net with close-range finishes.

Brad Carroll

United reduced the arrears in the second half but the goal of the match from Brad Carroll secured an emphatic 4-2 win.

A couple of hours later, the team was out celebrating their Christmas party – basking, no doubt, on a good afternoon’s work!

There wasn’t the same harmony, sadly, in 2013 when Colwyn Bay won 3-0 at Borough Park.  The Welsh side’s win compounded the turmoil going on behind the scenes as the managerial situation reached breaking point.        

We didn’t know at the time, but that defeat proved to be Darren Edmondson’s final game in charge – a sad departure for Reds’ longest serving manager.

Darren Edmondson

A good second half fight-back in the 2002 home clash against Witton Albion helped Reds salvage a valuable league point.  Trailing 3-1 at the break, second half goals from Stuart Williamson and Graham Goulding, added to Glenn Murray’s first half penalty, secured a draw against a decent Albion outfit.

Workington’s most rewarding FA Cup victory was obtained back in 1957 – a stunning 5-1 success at league rivals, Oldham Athletic.  We had lost 4-1 at Boundary Park earlier in the season but turned the tables spectacularly when we returned for the 2nd Round tie.

Billy Robson led the charge with two goals and was joined on the score sheet by Jimmy Currie, Ken Chisholm and George Aitken.

And the reward for that win – yes, you have guessed it, the memorable Borough Park encounter against Manchester United!

The FA Cup also took us to Port Vale for Second Round matches, not once but twice! We lost 2-1 there in 1963, Jimmy Moran our consolation scorer, but earned a replay in 1968 following a goalless draw.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.
Don`t copy text!