ON THIS DAY: 06 March – Penalty shootout victories & Glen Murray first start

Home and away victories, managerial rivalries but not as we know them, penalty shoot-out glory (not once, but twice), a full debut for Glenn Murray and Boardroom unrest have been just some of the talking points involving Reds on the 6th March in years gone by…….

Conor and Aaran

2018   Lancaster City (away) 0-0, won 5-4 on penalties   Reds were excellent at the back throughout this NPL Challenge Cup 3rd Round tie with Aaran Taylor and Sam Smith particularly impressive.  Conor Tinnion almost won the match in normal time only for a rare header to hit the bar as an even contest finished goalless after ninety minutes.

Twelve penalties were taken and Taylor saved one with City also missing the target completely with another.  Matty Douglas saw his shot hit the bar but Scott Allison, Dav Symington, Rob Wilson, Sam Smith and Tinnion, with the winner, all converted.

Anthony Wright

2009   Gainsborough Trinity (away) 2-1   After a nervous start, Reds got better and better and, by the finish, emerged deserved winners.  We actually took the lead against the run of play when Anthony Wright scored with a side foot volley.  Trinity responded immediately and were back on terms just sixty seconds later.

The two Adams in goal – Sollitt and Collin – both made several excellent saves as the ‘end-to-end’ entertainment soared and both sides had a goal disallowed.

But it was Wrighty’s day and he scored an 83rd minute winner, thumping home a free kick from just outside the box.

The man in the middle that day was Andy Madley, the elder of the refereeing brothers, and he will be the VAR official for Manchester City’s next game.     

John Wharton

2004   Harrogate Town (home) 4-4, won 4-3 on penalties   Workington supporters were late for their evening meal as this Saturday afternoon contest didn’t finish until 1745!  The President’s Cup semi final required extra time and then penalties before John Wharton scored the decisive spot-kick.

In a pulsating cup-tie, Reds were behind three times, then took the lead at 4-3 only for Town to score the eighth goal of the afternoon to equalise in the last minute of extra time.

Teenage goalkeeper, Neil Thompson, made his home debut and, despite conceding four goals in the two hours of play, won the man-of-the-match award after saving one of the Harrogate penalties.

Craig Johnston

Craig Johnston scored twice, including a penalty, after Glenn Murray’s well despatched opener with Steve Archibald also finding the target against Premier Division opposition.

Will Varty sustained a facial cut, was then booked and, to cap a frustrating day for the skipper, had his penalty saved in the shoot-out.  But Craig Potts, Johnston, Murray and, eventually, Wharton all converted to dramatically see Reds through to the final.


2001   Ashton United (home) 2-0   Kevin Wolfe returned to the club after six years away, Mike Bailey was given his debut but it was seventeen years old Glenn Murray who won the plaudits after making his first start for the seniors.  It was an afternoon to remember for the Maryport youngster who scored a goal in each half to steer Reds to a first home win in four months.

Glenn Murray

Ashton were 3rd in the table at the time, Reds down in 13th spot.

Mathew Henney

1999   Ramsbottom United (home) 3-2   The start of the historic fourteen match winning run in our North West Counties adventure, ultimately leading to our title success, began with a nervy performance against Rammy.

Graham Goulding

But it was against a backcloth of Boardroom unrest following revelations of Chairman Bill Wilson’s business affairs which attracted blanket coverage via local TV, radio and the press.  Directors Geoff Tubman and Arthur Peers had stepped down amidst all the uncertainty.

So a win on the grass was just what the doctor ordered, albeit a far from straightforward victory.  Mathew Henney scored twice and Graham Goulding’s maiden goal for the club secured three priceless points.

Paul Campbell
Graham Caton

1993   Caernarfon Town (home) 2-1   Reds fans could have been forgiven for thinking ‘here we go again’ after Town established a half time lead in this NPL First Division encounter.  But the lads bounced back on this occasion to obtain all three points.

Paul Campbell equalised on the hour and Graham Caton scored an 83rd minute winner to complete the comeback.

1982 Oswestry Town (home) 1-1   The visitors, who indirectly evolved to become Welsh Premier powerhouse, The New Saints, were a goal-up at Borough Park and it took a John Smith penalty in the second half to salvage a point.  

They were dogged opponents throughout the eighties and the head-to-head actually favoured them – nine wins to our six.

1979   Barrow (home) 3-0  NPL victories have been all too rare against our south of the county neighbours but this one came gift-wrapped with the Bluebirds conceding two own-goals in this comprehensive defeat.

John Reach was also credited with a goal against opponents who named four future Workington players in their line-up as well as nineties manager, Alan Cook!

Dave Irving

1971   Newport County (home) 2-1   Dave Irving scored his first Borough Park goal in just his fourth start for the first team in this narrow victory.  He was joined on the score-sheet by Johnny Martin as Reds obtained both points from a closely fought encounter.

Playing against his former club was Joe Wilson who had a season with County before returning for a second spell with hometown team, Reds.

Dave Carr

1964   Tranmere Rovers (away) 2-0   Reds were now into the final two months of the promotion campaign and a good run was required to secure a top four finish.  They started a decent run in March emerging deserved 2-0 winners at Birkenhead thanks to goals from regular marksmen Dave Carr and Bill Hopper.

Bill Hopper

It completed a league double over Rovers who eventually finished 7th.

1954   Rochdale (away) 2-4   Much was said and written about the managerial rivalry between Bill Shankly and Harry Catterick during their time on Merseyside throughout the sixties and seventies, but the pair had already crossed swords regularly in the fifties.

Catterick was manager of Rochdale long before his time at Everton and got the better of Shanks (and Reds) in this Third Division North clash sixty seven years ago.

Rex Dunlop and Jimmy Dailey scored Reds’ goals that day but ‘Dale had beaten us home and away. And Catterick’s side were above Shankly’s team in the final table – just, thanks to a slightly better goal average!

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.
Don`t copy text!