On this day – 05 December

A look through the diaries to see what was happening to Reds on the 5th December in years gone by………….

Our trip to Buxton in 2015 coincided with the arrival of Storm Desmond and, whilst accepting that football was of secondary importance that weekend, it turned out to be one of those occasions one will never forget.

The journey out of Cumbria provided graphic detail of the scale of the flooding.  There was only one piece of dry land around the Keswick area and that was the A66 we were travelling on.

The stormy weather was nationwide but, without doubt, we were leaving the worst of it behind in Cumbria.

A late arrival at Buxton meant kick-off was delayed before both teams attempted to serve up a contest in storm force winds.  It was farcical but, somehow, Reds scored a goal in each half and won 2-0.  Ex. Buxton player, Joe McGee, got the first and regular marksman, Gareth Arnison, secured the points with a well taken second just before the end.

Attention then switched to the return journey which was eventful to say the least.  The nearer we got to home the more we learned of the devastation that was unfolding.  All the normal routes to the west of the county were flooded or closed and, somehow, the coach driver’s local knowledge of the back roads of Cumbria got us safely back to Borough Park – about two hours later than scheduled.

In years to come, Reds fans will probably forget how dominant we were throughout the ninety minutes at the Silverlands Stadium.  But the journey on that terrible day will live long in the memory!          

Billy Robson

Thankfully, all our other encounters on this day were quite straightforward in comparison.

Workington’s only other league success on this corresponding day was the 1958 Fourth Division victory over Gateshead at Borough Park.  Local hero Billy Robson took the plaudits that day after scoring a match winning hat-trick with fellow Cumbrian, Billy Gordon, netting the other goal.

Alex Rollo

FA Cup success was experienced twice, first in 1959 and 1964.

The former was a 2nd Round home tie against Halifax Town which was decided in Reds’ favour thanks to Alex Rollo’s penalty.

Jimmy Moran was our match winner five years later.  He scored both goals in a 2-0 victory at South Liverpool, another 2nd Round tie, maintaining his impressive Cup record for Reds in the process.

Jimmy Moran

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.
Don`t copy text!