ON THIS DAY: 03 March – Double over Chester & Carlisle

A look through the archives to see what was happening in English football on the 3rd March 1973.  Whilst Workington were enjoying a fine away win at Chester, a number of past (and future) Borough Park employees were strutting their stuff up and down the country…….

1973   Chester (away) 3-1   Reds completed a league double over Chester during the ’72-73 season winning both matches 3-1.  It was our last ‘respectable’ finish (13th) in the Fourth Division with four consecutive bottom four berths and re-election pleas facing us between 1974 and 1977.

Ken Roberts’ Chester side had started the season well and early results included an 8-2 win over Peterborough United.  When they lost at Borough Park, it was their heaviest defeat to date and the early season promise faded after Christmas as they eventually finished with three fewer points than Workington in 15th position.

Brian Wood

The match at Sealand Road saw Reds players score all four goals – Ron Walker deflecting the ball past Mike Rogan for an unfortunate own-goal whilst his defensive partner Brian Wood scored at the right end.

John Rowlands

In the second half, Reds took control and the two Johns, Rowlands and Martin, scored the goals which secured the points.  The latter two had also netted in the earlier meeting at Borough Park.

Playing for Chester that day was Michael Owen’s father, Terry.

On the same day, former Reds defender John Flynn was playing for Sheffield United in a First Division clash at Arsenal.

Two future Workington servants , Alan Suddick and Viv Busby, were playing against each other in the Blackpool v. Luton Town fixture in the old Second Division.  Indeed, Suddick was the Blackpool scorer that day.

Two future loan players, Bob Delgado and Bobby Owen plus Les O’Neill, who would serve as manager, all played for Carlisle United in a home defeat against QPR with Delgado scoring the Blues’ goal.

The Blackburn Rovers side of that era was packed with players with strong Workington connections and managed, of course, by former Reds boss, Ken Furphy.  In their team for the Third Division encounter against Wrexham were: future managers Mick Heaton, John McNamee and Barry Endean with past player, Kit Napier, and future defender, Derek Fazackerley, all wearing those famous blue and white halved shirts.  Playing for Wrexham was another former Borough Park favourite, Brian Tinnion.

Goalkeeper Charlie Wright, who had left Workington ten years earlier, was on duty for Bolton Wanderers whilst future Red, Chris Kisby, was still a Scunthorpe United player at that time.

In the north east, Steve Holbrook and Malcolm Dawes were still playing for Darlington and Hartlepool respectively before finding their way to west Cumbria later in the seventies.  

Jack Bertolini

The win at Chester wasn’t the only Workington victory celebrated ‘on this day’ as we emerged 4-2 winners at Carlisle United in a Third Division (North) derby in 1956.  It was another impressive double for Reds after the 4-0 success on home soil. 

Rex Dunlop

All four goals at Brunton Park came from Scots with Jackie Bertolini, Jimmy Dailey and Rex Dunlop all finding the target as did future player, Tommy Kinloch, a Blue who later became a Red having the misfortune to direct the ball into his own net.

Although we are now classed as the poor relations of Cumbria’s top three clubs it was Reds who were ‘top dogs’ in 1956 – we finished 10th, United were 21st and Barrow 22nd!

Jackie Swindells

There was a home win recorded in 1962 with Reds getting the better of Tranmere Rovers.  Recent signing Jack Swindells delivered his first Borough Park goal that day whilst local lad, Arnold Timmins, scored his final goal on home soil in a Workington shirt.

Derek Townsley

In more recent times, Reds have enjoyed comfortable victories in the Cumberland Cup, Conference North and the NPL Challenge Cup respectively.

Graham Goulding

Tommy Cassidy fielded a strong line-up at Maryport where Reds met the challenge of Netherhall in 2007.  Always on a hiding to nothing in such games, Reds got the job done without too much fuss easing to a 5-0 success.  Derek Townsley and Graham Goulding each scored twice before Matt Henney completed the scoring with his 50th goal for the club.

A crowd of almost 200 hugged the touchlines.

Mark Boyd

Gloucester City were the visitors to west Cumbria in 2012 and a couple of first half decisions went against them.  The significant one was a penalty awarded in Reds favour for a debatable hand ball in the area.

Gareth Arnison duly converted and it was plain sailing after that.  Mark Boyd doubled the advantage with his first Borough Park goal – a sweet twenty five yard volley which flew past the Gloucester ‘keeper.  Jonny Wright netted the third just before the end as Reds avenged their defeat (0-2) in Gloucestershire earlier in the season.

Danny Grainger

Twelve months ago, we were four games away from the first Lockdown and hosted Ossett United in the NPL Challenge Cup.  Danny Grainger played the full ninety minutes for Reds in what was his fourth start for the club he manages.

Dan Wordsworth

His inclusion was part of the squad rotation which gave opportunities to some of the younger members to impress – and they did, emerging comfortable 2-0 winners.  Nathan Waterston opened the scoring after just three minutes and Dan Wordsworth headed home the second late in the game.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.
Don`t copy text!