On this day – 03 December

Looking back on Reds performances on the 3rd December in previous years – a day which has produced very few victories for Workington…….

A home match against Hednesford Town here four years followed a similar pattern to that over many years with Reds failing to win.

The visitors scored twice in the opening seven minutes through Jamie Sheldon and David McDermott and that was enough to secure a comfortable away win.  We even had a late Elliot Newby penalty saved by Town’s Dan Crane who had hardly been troubled all afternoon.

Dean Henderson

Speaking of goalkeepers, a future star was spotted on the Borough Park terraces with Manchester United’s Dean Henderson in attendance – brother Calum was names as one of the Reds substitutes!

Other failures on this day have included a 2-1 defeat at Guiseley in 2011, and home defeats by Stalybridge Celtic (1-2) and Netherfield (0-3) in 2005 and 1996 respectively.

We did, at least, obtain a point following a 3-3 home draw versus Curzon Ashton back in 1994 with the game marking the start of Stuart Sherwood’s four match spell as caretaker manager.

Anthony Robinson scored his first goal for Reds with Martin Henderson and Paul Campbell also finding the target, all of whom were upstaged by Curzon’s Scott Cordner with the match ball presented (?) to him following his well taken hat-trick.

Workington’s most recent win on the third day of December was back in 1977 but it did have some significance.  The 3-2 victory over Gateshead at the International Stadium (pictured above) was our first away win in Northern Premier League football, at the eighth attempt!

Sharing the goals that day were Walter Gillott, Keith Skillen and Johnny Martin.

Our Football League record saw three matches played and defeat inflicted upon us in each one.

Two Scots netted for Reds in a 1955 clash against Southport but Jimmy Dailey’s and Rex Dunlop’s efforts were in vain as we lost 3-2 on home turf.

Jimmy Dailey and Rex Dunlop

Another Scotsman, James Nelson, bagged a hat-trick for Reds in a 4-4 North Eastern League draw at Consett in 1949 but the last home win by the first team was way back in 1932 when we got the better of Crook Town, 4-2, at Lonsdale Park. 

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.
Don`t copy text!