MATCH REPORT: Workington Reds Ladies 1-1 Washington Ladies  (Workington won 3-2 on penalties)

A little bit of history was made at Workington Town’s Derwent Park with Reds Ladies hosting north east opposition in the First Round (Qualifying) of the Vitality Women’s FA Cup.

And it was Reds who progressed to the next round after a nerve-wracking penalty shoot-out finished 3-2 in their favour.  Paul Mackenzie’s side converted their first three spot-kicks, had their next two saved yet still managed to come out on top.

Washington, who had been in front for over an hour in normal play, squandered two of their penalties and had a third saved by Laura Miller.

Workington collect £1,800 from the FAs generous prize fund and will now travel to play Ponteland United in the next round.

Reds started brightly and dominated much of the first half yet found themselves a goal down by the quarter of an hour mark.

Caitlyn Berresford broke through the inside right channel and hammered a fine shot past Miller to give the visitors a shock lead.

Workington should have been in front by then but Sophie Birkett’s shot rattled the post and Washington survived.

Birkett saw another effort saved by the diminutive Evie Stephenson who had a far busier afternoon than her opposite number, Miller.

Abbey Howarth dragged a good effort wide as Washington put together an isolated attack.

At the other end, Reds search for an equaliser was proving difficult.

Emi Rudd volleyed one good opportunity over the bar after a good cross from Morgan McGrady then the latter’s header was tipped over the bar by Stephenson.  From the subsequent corner, Washington were unable to clear the ball and Linzi Donaldson smashed home a fine goal to get Reds on level terms.

That left ten minutes to find a winner in normal time but it was Washington who came closest to doing so.  Jessica Cook looked favourite to score when she got beyond the last defender but Miller was quickly off her line to block the shot.

There were no further chances for either side so it was down to penalties to determine a winner.

Linzi Donaldson was first up for Reds and she confidently converted.  1-0.

Abbey Howarth stepped forward for Washington but her kick hit the post.  Still 1-0 to Reds.

Megan Yarnold was next for the home side and she rolled back the years with an emphatic finish.  2-0.

Jessica Cook boosted Washington morale when she converted her penalty.  2-1.

Holly Redmond made the long walk from the centre circle and nonchalantly found the net.  3-1.

Bethany White was Washington’s next to make the nervous walk to the penalty spot and her kick was saved by Miller.  Still 3-1.

Laura Miller then volunteered for the seventh kick but, having saved the previous one, she shot straight at Stephenson so no change in the score.  3-1.

Amy Coatesworth ignored the pressure surrounding her kick and confidently netted.  3-2.

Sophie Douglas had the opportunity to win it for Reds but her spot-kick was saved by Stephenson.

Jessica Givens had to score from the tenth spot kick to keep her team in the tie but her effort cleared the bar and Workington were through.  3-2.  

Team: Laura Miller, Sophie Birkett (Ellie Ritchie), Naomi Foster, Alice Kemp, Natalie Hooper, Hannah Geen (Megan Yarnold), Helen Wagstaff (Linzi Donaldson), Holly Redmond, Sophie Douglas, Morgan McGrady, Emi Rudd.  Substitutes – Sydney Bragg, Laura Ivison, Hannah Ridgewell, Chloe Henderson (not used). 

Referee: Ben Whitfield, Carlisle

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.
Don`t copy text!