shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out

Workington AFC v. Moor Row

Workington AFC 7 - 0 Moor Row
08 Oct 2019 - 19:45Borough Park, Workington, CA14 2DT

Reds eased through to the next round of the Cumberland Cup with the expected straightforward victory but County League side, Moor Row, left with their reputation intact.

The village side contributed so much over the ninety minutes that they may have felt the score-line was rather harsh by the end. They played a neat brand of football and created a number of decent chances throughout a sporting contest sprinkled with goals at regular intervals

Reds, playing in an all grey outfit, made eleven changes from their previous match and fielded a back four of teenagers and six, altogether, in the starting eleven.

Moor Row also played a batch of talented youngsters and it was great to see so many making their mark in a senior competition.

Ash Kelly opened the scoring inside three minutes, a good shot on the turn from just inside the area, but between that strike and Nathan Waterston’s first of a hat-trick, Moor Row enjoyed some good moments.

Ben Graham and Jake Graham just lacked a little composure with chances which came their way otherwise the visitors might have bagged an equaliser.

Waterston’s second hat-trick of the campaign was completed with well taken goals after 16, 29 and 54 minutes with the latter, slotted from an acute angle, probably the best of the three.

But it was two goals in quick succession from Cam Harker that finally distinguished Moor Row’s passion. The first on the hour came from a deft lob into the vacant net after an error in the Moor Row defence. 

And four minutes later, Harker scored with a diving header following a sublime assist from Waterston.

And speaking of ‘eye-catching’ assists, Reds boss, Danny Grainger, released Owen Durham with a defence splitting pass and the latter completed the scoring five minutes from time. 

Moor Row’s best move of the second half saw Ben Graham race clear but the chance for a deserved consolation goal was thwarted as Alex Mitchell advanced quickly off his line to block the ball.

The game ended prematurely for Moor Row’s Scott Davidson who suffered a suspected broken nose following an aerial collision with Reds’ Harry Atkinson.

The centre half was led from the pitch with his face buried in a blood stained towel, leaving his side a man short to complete the final few minutes.

And credit Workington for a sporting gesture, with Waterston immediately withdrawn from the pitch so that both teams could conclude the game on an equal footing in terms of man power.

Luke Ivison again skippered Reds, as he did in the League Cup tie v. Kendal Town, and emerged as the hosts’ man-of-the-match with another midfield master class.

Workington: Mitchell, Howarth, Hartley, Grainger, Atkinson, Williamson, Hebson (Durham, 54), Demetriou (Harker, 46), Kelly A (Johnston, 55), Ivison, Waterston. Substitutes – Symington, Rowntree (not used). 

Moor Row: Armstrong, Nicholson, Rossi C, Bewley, Davidson, Holgate, McAllister, Rooney, Graham, Woods, Graham J. Substitutes – Heal, Mossop, Fearon, Rossi A, Webster.

Referee Tommy Linford

Booking: Grainger (Workington)

Attendance: 101

Matchday photos courtesy of Ben Challis.