shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out

Marine v Workington

Marine 0 - 2 Workington
23 Feb 2019 - 15:00Rossett Park College Road Liverpool L23 3AS

Near perfect away performance secures victory

Unlike at Borough Park, Reds are showing some welcome consistency on the road with two second-half goals at College Road clinching a third successive away win and all by a two goal margin.

And after the morale sapping display against Witton Albion in mid-week, this was an excellent response, to a man, from Lee Andrews’ team.

They defended superbly against an in-form Marine outfit, got forward at every opportunity, enjoyed a bit of luck along the way and, above all, showed great character throughout.

Add to that, a number of individual eight out of ten contributions and you have a near perfect away performance.

Both sides were sparring in the early stages, showing a bit too much respect for each other, but the game burst into life when Danny Mitchell sent a shot wide and Reds’ Dan Carmichael saw an angled volley gathered by home ‘keeper, Joe Hilton.

A good spell of Marine pressure on the half-hour mark saw Conor Tinnion head the ball off the line, but in the ensuing panic, Gari Rowntree was adjudged to have handled the ball and the referee pointed to the spot.

Craig Carney’s less than confident penalty was smothered by Aaran Taylor and the visitors reached half time with everything to play for.

And Taylor ensured they were still in a position to eventually secure the points, with three excellent saves at the start of the second period.

He pushed over an angled drive from Charley Edge then, from the subsequent corner, made the save of the match. A well-worked routine saw Edge send a low shot towards the bottom right-hand corner of Taylor’s net but the ‘keeper’s outstretched arm deflected the ball for another corner.

The duel continued in Marine’s next attack when Taylor parried another firmly struck Edge shot.

But from thereon, Reds began to dominate and they opened the scoring after sixty-two minutes. Dav Symington had replaced a hobbling Carmichael and his first telling contribution led to the breakthrough goal.

His cross from the right was met by Jason Walker and although he failed to connect properly with the ball, it turned out to be the perfect assist for Brad Carroll. His shot was heading for the left-hand corner of Hilton’s net but a deflection took the ball in the other direction. Either way, the Marine stopper was beaten and Carroll had his first goal for the club.

Reds managed the game well from that point but the insurance of that second goal made the closing stages much more enjoyable and the finger nails still intact.

Some wonderful individual play from Tinnion created the opening with the latter releasing Sam Joel down the inside left channel. Joel danced around the keeper and sent the ball into the net from an acute angle despite the efforts of a Marine defender on the line.

The hosts finished the game with ten men after Steven Irwin’s second robust challenge on Carroll earned him a second yellow card.

An important win on a day when most of Reds rivals also picked up points, to the delight of Reds’ boss, Andrews, himself a defender by trade. “Aaran was superb and the back four in front of him were outstanding, looking solid throughout.”

Marine Hilton, Tattum, Edge, Shaw, Doyle, Barnes, Murray, Irwin, Mitchley (Short, 75), Carney (Elston, 68), Hynes. Substitutes – Strickland, Marsden, Mendes (not used).

Workington Taylor, Douglas, Rowntree, Wordsworth, Calvert, Carroll, Carmichael (Symington, 55), Cowperthwaite, Walker (Holt, 86), Thompson (Joel, 78), Tinnion. Substitutes – Brotherston, Casson (not used).

Referee Jon Kenny, Middlewich

Bookings: Shaw, Irwin (Marine), Carroll (Workington)

Sent-off: Irwin (Marine, two yellow cards)

Attendance 671

Don`t copy text!